in order to send and recieve emails via outlook express you must first enable pop service gmail settings.
To enable POP in Gmail
- Sign in to Gmail.
- Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page.
- Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Select Enable POP for all mail or Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on.
- it is always recommend to keep gmail copy in the inbox
- click save settings.
configure Outlook Express
- Click the Tools menu, and select Accounts...
- Click Add, and then click Mail...
- Enter your name in the Display name: field, and click Next.
- in the Email Address field type you full gmail address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- in the next select Pop3 in the drop down menu
- in the incoming mail server (pop3) field type pop.gmail.com
- in the outgoing mail server (smtp) field type smtp.gmail.com
- click next
- type your full gmail address in the account name field
- type your password in the password filed (you used in gmail)
- click finish
- go to the accounts page again (tools > accounts)
- in the mail tab select the account you create and click properties
- in the Servers tab, check the box next to the My server requires authentication.
- go to the advanced tab
- Under Outgoing Mail (SMTP), check the box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL).
- Enter 465 in the Outgoing mail (SMTP): field.
- Under Incoming mail (POP3), check the box next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL). The port will change to 995 automatically. (this is ok)
- Make sure you enter the correct information in each field.
- Click OK.
Congratulations! You're successfully configured your mail client to send and recieve Gmail messages.