you use the ipconfig tool to verify the TCP/IP configuration parameters on a host. this helps to determine whether the configuration is initialized or if a duplicate IP address exists. use the ipconfig tool with the /all switch to verify configuration information.
the ping tool is a diagnose tool that you can use to test TCP/IP configurations and diagnose connection failures. after you have verified the TCP/IP configuration, use the ping tool to determine whether a particular TCP/IP host is available and funtional. to test connectivity use the ping tool with the following syntax in command prompt:
- first go to the command prompt.
- then type ipconfig or ipconfig /all and press enter.
- then type ping 127.0.0.1 (loopback address) to check loopback working properly.
- then use ping ip address of the computer (eg: ping 192.168.0.10) to check NIC (network interface card) working properly.
- then use ping command to ip address of default gateway (router) to check connectivity to gateway.
- then use ping address of the remote host (this can be pc in the network or internet) to check network working properly.