The Windows XP CDs has a tool called the Recovery Console which can be used to repair errors that prevent Windows XP from starting using the command line.
- Insert the Windows CD and start the computer.
- When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R.
- Type a number corresponding to the Windows installation you wish to repair (this means windows partition,usually 1) and press Enter.
- When prompted, type the administrator password and press Enter.if there is no password leave it blank and press Enter
- From the command prompt, copy NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the i386 folder of the CD to the root folder of the hard drive. In the example commands given below, C: is the hard drive and D: is the CD-ROM drive. You will need to change the drive letters if appropriate:
COPY D:\I386\NTLDR C:\
COPY D:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
- Remove the Windows XP CD from the drive and restart the computer.