If you have multiple computers, you can use ICS to allow you and others on your local area network (LAN) to perform different tasks simultaneously. For example, one person can send and receive e-mail messages, while another person downloads a file, and another person browses the Internet. You can also gain access to your corporate e-mail accounts from a client computer while others on your LAN cannot. With ICS You can use Web-enabled programs (such as downloading updates) as well as Microsoft NetMeeting and other video conferencing programs.
when ICS is enabled in the computer it also act as a DHCP,DNS,GATEWAY for the clients.The connection to the Internet is shared to other computers on the local area network (LAN). The network adapter that is connected to the LAN is configured with a static IP address of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 ICS can only be used in workgroup envirenment.
How to use Internet Connection Sharing
To use Internet Connection Sharing to share your Internet connection, the host computer must have one network adapter that is configured to connect to the internal network, and one network adapter or modem that is configured to connect to the Internet.
On the host computerOn the host computer, follow these steps to share the Internet connection:
- Log on to the host computer as Administrator or as Owner.
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Click Network and Internet Connections.
- Click Network Connections.
- Right-click the connection that you use to connect to the Internet. For example, if you connect to the Internet by using a modem, right-click the connection that you want under Dial-up.
- Click Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Under Internet Connection Sharing, select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.
- If you are sharing a dial-up Internet connection, select the Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet check box if you want to permit your computer to automatically connect to the Internet.
- Click OK.
When Internet Connection Sharing is enabled, your LAN adapter will be set to use IPaddress 192.168.0.1. Your computer may lose connectivity with other computers onyour network. If these other computers have static IP addresses, it is a good idea to set themto obtain their IP addresses automatically. Are you sure you want to enable InternetConnection Sharing?
- Click Yes.